So this week I turn 30. How I feel? I am a little nervous…it makes me feel older, especially when I am surrounded by 20 something colleagues. I have plethora of questions in my mind…So will I start getting wrinkles? Will I have pain in my knees? Will I have to count every calorie I eat? Do I have to start thinking about my love life seriously? (Man that sucks) Do I need to start investing? Do I need to buy a house? So animated movies are no more my league? (Despite loving them the most) Should I be thinking before spending on clothes, shoes and watches?
Though I am afraid of entering the new decade I think that age is just a number. Everyone is getting older from Rekha to Deepika Padukone. What matters is am I a better person than yesterday? What have I achieved? What I have to achieve? What needs to be done to accomplish my dreams?
“Aging is not lost youth but a new stage of opportunity and strength.” Betty Friedan (1921-2006)
So to accomplish a few dreams I have thought of 30 things, that I would like to do in the coming year. So my “30 for 30”:
- Continue playing tennis and be a pro by the end of the year.
- Keep writing blogs…once in a week..irrespective of the external factors that won’t let me do that.Though I do that, but I should continue doing that, to make it a habit. It makes me really happy when I write a blog post so I will try to write every weekend.
- Visit Leh, Amritsar, Gaya, Agra and MaduraiI am an indian who hasn’t visited Agra yet..I regret this..so this year I have to visit Agra. I have been watching the pictures that my friends upload of their visit to Leh and that makes me jealous..so definitely I am going to visit Leh. Golden temple has always been in my list since I read about it in school and so are the Meenakshi temples in Madurai. I never thought of visiting Gaya, but somehow this year there is an urge to visit it. Some force is driving me towards Gaya.
- Plan an international trip either to Turkey or to Cambodia.Last year after visiting a few countries in Europe, I thought of visiting a few this year too. I have thought of Turkey and Greece. If that won’t be possible then I may visit Cambodia and Vietnam. Fingers crossed!!
- Start to invest in an SIPThis I am planning since I was 25, but till date I am just planning. So this year I take a pledge to start a SIP soon!!
- Read a book every monthI love reading, I buy many books, but sometime I read them half or I don’t read at all. So this year I would like to read all the books I have and then will start buying new books. So I have to finish at least one book in a month or more, so this way I can finish at least 12 books in a year..not bad I guess 😛
- Drive at least 800km by myselfThe maximum I have driven by myself is around 400 kms but now I want to cover at least 800kms alone. I know it would be difficult but not impossible.
- Learn to cook 5 new mealsI hate cooking, yes I do!! But still I would like to learn some new recipes and teach them to mother who will cook for me 😛
- Join Zumba classes and continue themI love dancing, but never got a chance to perform. I need to relearn the basics and may be at the end of the year I could be perfect at it.
- Get the BMI right Zumba, tennis and good diet will help me watch my calories and so my BMI. Once I will get my BMI right I will make peace with my body shape.
- Most of the times I promise my friends that I will visit them (yes PJ, Priyanka, Jui di) but somehow I can’t. So will think twice before making a promise and if I make it I will keep it (That’s a promise)
- Yes, I am getting older so more of reading and lesser television. Though mother will drag me to watch her non sense and idiotic serials I will make sure to not to watch them.
- At 30 my love life is going nowhere. I will certainly try to amend it. It’s now or never 😛 (well I still don’t know )
- Will try to understand and possibly redefine my relation with alcohol. I am always in the dilemma of should I or shouldn’t I drink. I hope I figure that out this year
- Talk to my relatives (especially cousins) once in a month, to keep an update of their lives .
- Will call my friends and family on their birthdays and anniversaries rather than wishing them on Facebook or WhatsApp. I don’t remember visiting a friend for his/her birthday, or even sending a card or flower.
- Will get inked..thought of two..but will need an accomplice. Will you?
- Will try to find out whether I am an atheist: I neither pray nor I visit temples. I am yet to find out whether I believe in God. I love celebrating all festivals but does that mean I am religious?
- I am a big movie fan, but I also love to watch plays. So this year watching plays will be a top priority.
- Yes, this is a big one, will start writing my book. Yes finally I have decided!!
- I will try to be less aggressive or bossy especially towards my junior colleagues.
- Will try to be a little organized, I create mess wherever I go. Mother leaves me for a month and the house turns in to a bachelor pad.
- Will add a few more shades to my MAC collection (I have 3 so far)
- Will try to be a frugal especially when it comes to clothes, shoes and watches. No more new watches, shoes only one pair for six months, clothes only when needed :P. I know this definition is bizarre but would like to stick to it.
- I will visit parlor before people tell me that it’s too late.I am very lazy to visit a parlor. I think it’s time consuming and painful. But then it’s an indispensable part of a women’s life
- Try a new cuisine…may be Japanese.I am adding this because I have always hated to try something new especially when it comes to food.
- Will try not to fight with mother for trivial issues, especially when she starts comparing my life with my friends, who are married and have kids.
- Visiting Facebook page only once in a day, I know it’s tough but not impossible
- Start learning a new language..French or Dutch or Spanish
- Finally,I have to work towards achieving my dream…I have to widen my wings and take that plunge…will I make it?